Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Slowly does it!

I have recently found myself involved in a conversation over slow cookers and their amazing ability to make meal times in the kitchen a pleasure instead of a chore. I was at ore of the idea of placing raw ingredients into a pot, leaving for work and upon my return eight hours later having a flavorsome creation waiting for my family to consume with no fuss attached.

Being the compulsive person that you may be discovering that I am I found myself the next day standing in the kitchenware section of Myers staring at a large range of slow cookers all with different volume capacities and all offering something a little different. After speaking with the well presented salesman and weighing up my options I found myself leaving the store with a giant box, hiding within it a mythical tool of which promised to make dinner times in my house simple and fuss free. Never owning such a piece of equipment before I also purchased "Slow" a cookbook filled from start to finish with slow cooker recipes, the tool to accompany my new and exciting play thing.

Desperately wanting to road test my toy, I dropped into my local butcher and purchased some stewing meat, as if a murderer plotting his next kill I drove home and buried my nose deep into my new cookbook for ideas on how to master my new kitchen gadget. Full of inspiration and eager to see my slow cooker at work I plugged it into the power point, turned it on to high, and loaded it with onion, lamb, garlic, egg plant, tinned tomato and white wine, I mixed together the ingredients with a wooden spoon, placed the lid back on the cooker and as if a woman possessed I stood over my slow cooker, waiting for something to happen, forgetting that, it is after all a "Slow Cooker" and no matter how long I stood over it looking intently through it's lid I would be waiting all day for my meal to cooked, yet as if hypnotised I found myself returning to it, opening the lid and looking, hoping that something had changed.

After visiting my friends at their humble abode I returned home, as I turned the lock and entered the lounge room I was greated by the smells coming from my kitchen, it was alive with the aromas of stew,  awakening the sensors of my family, prodding at our bellies following us through our tiny home and becoming trapped in all the nook's and crannies, urging us to sit and eat. I am pleased to say that my first slow cooking experience was a success, and as like all stews it was even better the next day.

I have since cooked many things in my cooker, Corned Beef, Spaghetti, Apricot Chicken and Beef Curry just to name a few. All of these meals were delicious and a delight to come home to after a massive day at the office. It is true, slow cookers are a marvel for busy working class families, and I am sure that I have many more very slowly cooked meals to look forward to preparing and devouring in the future.

If you are reading this and have a slow cooker why not plan to slowly cook a meal some time in the future. Tonight I made Korma Curry that we ate with Nann bread and Poppadom's, delicious! I am looking forward to reheats tomorrow, delicious delicious!

Enough rambling from me, enjoy creating and eating your delights, get slowly cooking and remember simple meals are effective meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment